?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 

Copyright Infringement and Me

About  

Previous Entry Copyright Infringement and Me Nov. 3rd, 2010 @ 11:14 pm Next Entry
From:(Anonymous)
Date:November 4th, 2010 08:41 pm (UTC)

copyright

(Link)
As the Managing Editor of an online women's health website, I deal with these issues all the time. About 75% of the people we give DMCA notices to for stealing our content without permission are surprised and shocked and take it down immediately. The remaining 25% know darn well that they were violating the law (some of them have even put their name and picture on the page in place of our authors'). But most of them, even, will take the page down once nabbed. A very small number argue with us, but back down when we mention legal proceedings. So I'm really flabbergasted at this woman's reply. She was totally out of line in responding to you that way. "My bad", MY ASS. If she is as experienced as she says she is, she knew damn well that she was in violation of copyright laws by not getting your permission before posting--she was just relying on you not finding it. ANYONE working in an online environment understands--or should--that work published on the web isn't public domain. Even if you're unaware of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (and I can see how online newbies might be--I was, when I started at my current job), a person who works in any sort of publishing understands that if you didn't create it, you can't claim to own it (unless it's older than 100 years, and even then, you darn well better double check...). And I'm sorry, but copyediting someone's work doesn't make up for the sin of stealing it--and she darn well should know THAT, too.
(Replies frozen) (Thread)
[User Picture Icon]
From:jenrose1
Date:November 4th, 2010 09:28 pm (UTC)

Re: copyright

(Link)
I've been in your position (chasing down copyright violations for a women's health magazine) and I agree completely on the breakdown. Most will apologize. Some will grump but still take the stuff down. For the rest? We would go to the ISP or whoever was hosting and deal with it there. In one case of bandwidth theft, we replaced the image with an ugly lime green and lurid orange sign which ended up tiled across the background of a forum....
(Replies frozen) (Parent) (Thread)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com